‘Worst divorce ever’: Annoyed husband splits everything they owned into two including family car Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/lifestyle/article/2000166984/worst-divorce-ever-annoyed-husband-splits-everything-they-owned-into-two-including-family-car?pageNo=2

When a jilted lover set for divorce carved every item he owned in half to get back at his ex, everyone thought it was hilarious. But all was not as it seemed. A German eBay user going by the username der.juli was filmed slicing up all his valuable belongings – claiming that he helped earn half of them as he readied for divorce proceedings. Footage of the drastic action was then uploaded onto YouTube alongside the caption: “Thank you for 12 beautiful years, Laura. You really deserve half. “Greeting also to my successor.” The products were then sold off on eBay in a series of bizarre listings on the online marketplace. But it has since emerged that the video and images were a hoax, put on by legal firm Deutsche Anwaltauskunft, an information portal for the German Bar Association. Admitting to the ruse on its website, it said: “The idea behind it was to humorously point to a problem that is not only relevant in Germany: Too few married couples take precautions for the case of a possible separation – for example with a marriage contract. “The event of divorce then often ends in bitter fights under which not only cars and furniture suffer but especially the affected couples and their children. “Hopefully, at least, you felt well entertained.” The items that were sawed in half however were legitimately sold on eBay. GO TO PAGE 1 2 Next » Do you have something to add to this story? Comment here. Share this story:
Read more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com/worst-divorce-ever-annoyed-husband-splits-everything-they-owned-into-two-including-family-car

Advertisements

Gaddafi son Saif al-Islam, ex-spy chief sentenced to death over war crimes during 2011 revolution – See more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com/Gaddafi-son Saif al-Islam ex-spy-chief sentenced to death over war crimes during 2011 revolution

A Libyan court on Tuesday sentenced Muammar Gaddafi’s most prominent son, Saif al-Islam, and eight others to death for war crimes including killings of protesters during the 2011 revolution that ended his father’s rule.
The former Gaddafi regime officials sentenced to die by firing squad included former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi and ex-prime minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, Sadiq al-Sur, chief investigator at the Tripoli state prosecutor’s office, told a televised news conference in Tripoli.
The trial outcome drew swift criticism abroad, with Human Rights Watch and a prominent international lawyer saying it was riddled with legal flaws and carried out amid widespread lawlessness undermining the credibility of the judiciary.
Eight ex-officials received life sentences and seven jail terms of 12 years each, Sadiq said. Four of the 37 defendants were acquitted, others got shorter jail terms.
Muammar Gaddafi himself was killed by rebels who captured him after months on the run.
Sadiq did not spell out the charges on which the verdict was based, referring to the expected written ruling. Defendants had been accused of a range of offences including the use of deadly force against unarmed demonstrators, as well as corruption.
The verdict on Saif al-Islam was passed in absentia in Tripoli since he has been held since 2011 by a former rebel group in the mountainous Zintan region beyond central government control.
Factional disorder and conflict now plagues Libya.
Saif appeared by video link only at the start of the trial.
The Zintanis have refused to hand him over, saying they do not trust authorities in Tripoli to make sure he does not escape, but agreed to let him be tried there.
The sentences can be appealed and must be confirmed by Libya’s Supreme Court, but legal experts and rights advocates said the proceeding was tainted and politicised from the start.
Justice under fire in Libya
New York-based Human Rights Watch said defence lawyers lacked full and timely access to case files and several had been unable to meet with clients in private while two quit after receiving threats.
“There are serious questions about whether judges and prosecutors can be truly independent where utter lawlessness prevails and certain groups are unashamedly shielded from justice,” Joe Stork, HRW’s deputy Middle East and North Africa director, said in an emailed statement.
“This trial was held in the midst of an armed conflict and a country divided by war where impunity has become the norm … The victims of the serious crimes committed during the 2011 uprising deserve justice, but that can only be delivered through fair and transparent proceedings,” Stork said.
The International Criminal Court had wanted to try Saif al-Islam and Senussi in The Hague but in 2013 granted Libya the right to do so at home despite doubts about the impartiality and competence of its judicial system.
John Jones, a British lawyer hired to represent Saif al-Islam before the ICC, said a “show trial” led to the death sentences.
“The whole thing is illegitimate from start to finish… It’s judicially sanctioned execution,” Jones said.
The ICC does not allow the death penalty.
The trial began in April 2014 before fighting between rival factions in Tripoli ripped Libya apart in a power struggle which has produced two governments competing for authority.
Tripoli is now controlled by a self-declared government set up after an armed faction called Libya Dawn seized the capital in August, expelling the internationally recognised government, which then decamped to far eastern Libya.
Fighting involving remnants of the armed forces, ex-rebel groups, regional tribes and Islamist militants has sewn chaos in the North African oil-producing country, thwarting any post-Gaddafi transition towards democracy.

– See more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com/news/gaddafi-son-saif-al-islam-ex-spy-chief-sentenced-death-over-war-crimes-during-2011-revolution#

Your are here » Home » Kenya Alarm over prostate cancer hitting Kenyan men Read more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com

Prostate cancer is among the top three killer cancers in Kenya but low awareness about the disease among Kenyan men has been blamed for undermining efforts to combat it. This comes as the country seeks to scale up the fight against various common cancers after the recently-concluded “Stop Cervical, Breast and Prostate Cancer in Africa” Conference in Nairobi. Director of Medical Services Dr Nicholas Muraguri lamented that many Kenyans who are at risk of getting prostate cancer ? men above 50 years ? are largely unaware of it and how to protect themselves through screening and treatment. According to the Ministry of Health’s cancer guidelines, prostate cancer is the most common cancer afflicting men, with at least 1,000 new cases reported each year, while deaths stand at around 850 annually. The numbers could be higher since many often go unreported. “With screening, this cancer can be diagnosed early enough if it is there. But since many people are not aware of it, they are not vigilant in protecting themselves. We will enhance awareness campaigns about prostate cancer,” he said. A state-of-the-art radiation therapy machine which will help in treating a number of cancer types including prostate cancer. Going for regular screening is encouraged in men to ensure early detection and treatment.The cancer affects the prostate gland which produces fluids vital for male reproductive. If not diagnosed early, it spreads quickly to other parts of the body, eventually leading to death. See also: ‘People ignorant on vital cervical cancer vaccine’ Dr Ahmed Kalebi, a consultant pathologist and honorary lecturer at the University said that the relatively poor level of awareness about the disease among Kenyans is partly responsible for many incidences of late diagnosis of the disease. Dr Kalebi, who also runs Pathologists Lancet Kenya, the largest private medical laboratory network in the country, which carries numerous tests on prostate cancer, said the levels of awareness are much lower in rural areas. “Prostate cancer is no longer a disease that only affects people in rich western countries. It is becoming more common all across Kenya. We need to do more to protect ourselves,” he advised. He added, “Kenyan men who are above 50-years to be on the look-out since they stand higher risks of developing prostate cancer and in some cases, even men in their 40s.Ladies should support their men in this.” Among the possible signs of prostate cancer are high frequency of urination and burning sensation while urinating. In addition, urine flow is often poor and unsteady. At advanced stages, blood or pus may be noted in the urine. “Not everyone who is above 50 years should go out and take a prostate cancer test. But once you notice some possible symptoms, you should not ignore them but go for the test. But we should avoid over-screening too,” advised Dr Kalebi.

Experts caution that Kenyan men with a family history of the disease should be more cautious since their risk of developing it is much higher. However, most public hospitals across the country don’t offer prostate cancer screening making access to the service limited. Only major facilities like Kenyatta National Hospital can offer such a service. On the other hand, private health facilities are more expensive. According to Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board fee guidelines for this year, prostate cancer tests average between Sh2, 100 and Sh3, 600. The test is available at level E and F specialised laboratories certified by the Kenya Medical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians Board.

Read more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com

Your are here » Home » Kenya Church leaders praise President Uhuru Kenyatta for his stand on gays in front of President Obama By Jeff Mwangi Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000170605/church-leaders-praise-uhuru-for-his-stand-on-gays-in-front-of-obama/

Church leaders praise President Uhuru Kenyatta for his stand on gays in front of President Obama By Jeff Mwangi Updated Monday, July 27th 2015 at 18:29 GMT +3 Share this story: President Barack Obama, left, listens as Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta speaks during a news conference at State House, on Saturday, July 25, 2015, in Nairobi, Kenya. Obama nudged African nations Saturday to treat gays and lesbians equally under the law, a position that remains unpopular through much of the continent. [AP Photo] KENYA: Church leaders have praised President Uhuru Kenyatta for his courage regarding homosexuality during a press briefing held at the State House, Nairobi with US President Barack Obama. Speaking in Isiolo after opening a new Methodist Church, The MCK Isiolo Town Church, Methodist Church of Kenya Presiding Bishop Rev Joseph Ntombura said as a church they were happy with the way President Uhuru responded to the issue gays. Rev. Ntombura said the move by President Uhuru was an assurance that he understands and respects the culture and religions of Kenyans. The bishop said homosexuality was against Kenyan culture and the Holy Bible adding that as a church they were not ready to be engaged in any talks regarding gay and lesbianism rights. On his part the head of National Independent Church of Africa Eastern Diocese Bishop Stephen Karunyu said that the courage by President Uhuru to respond to the gay matter in front of President Obama should be emulated by many who do not support such orientations. He urged all Kenyans to support the government in addressing other critical issues affecting the country. See also: Lasting memories of maiden trip to father’s homeland The clergy said they were happy with the US’s support in fighting Al-Shabaab and assurance that Americans will increase their investment in Kenya.
Read more at: http://www.dailyriftnews.com/

www.dailyriftnews.com

Daily Rift

Court puts off Moses Kuria hate speech case

Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria when he appeared in a Nairobi court on July 16, 2015 to face charges of incitement and hate speech. A Nairobi court on July 27 put off his case until August 3, 2015.
An application seeking to strip Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria of a Sh2 million bail in a hate-speech case has been pushed to Monday.
Mr Kuria on Monday appeared in a Nairobi court where he faces three counts of incitement to violence, ethnic contempt and hate speech.
Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko wants the bail cancelled, accusing the politician of breaching an earlier conciliation pact with the National Cohesion and Integration Commission.
Mr Kuria allegedly incited youth in Nyeri to attack and “slash” politicians opposed to National Youth Service projects in the county.
TERROR ATTACKS
The ‘panga’ remarks, as they are now commonly…

View original post 81 more words

Dailyrift

Court puts off Moses Kuria hate speech case

Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria when he appeared in a Nairobi court on July 16, 2015 to face charges of incitement and hate speech. A Nairobi court on July 27 put off his case until August 3, 2015.
An application seeking to strip Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria of a Sh2 million bail in a hate-speech case has been pushed to Monday.
Mr Kuria on Monday appeared in a Nairobi court where he faces three counts of incitement to violence, ethnic contempt and hate speech.
Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko wants the bail cancelled, accusing the politician of breaching an earlier conciliation pact with the National Cohesion and Integration Commission.
Mr Kuria allegedly incited youth in Nyeri to attack and “slash” politicians opposed to National Youth Service projects in the county.
TERROR ATTACKS
The ‘panga’ remarks, as they are now commonly known, were captured and aired on national television and reported in the local dailies.
The MP’s lawyers are expected to counter Mr Tobiko’s request on August 3 when the hearing is expected to resume.
In the case already before the court, Mr Kuria is charged with linking Gikomba terrorist attacks to members of Luo and Somali communities.
The prosecution has generated and annexed a forensic transcript of a translation from Kikuyu to English language for the courts perusal.
By Dailyrift News